Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Barry Harmon Barry Harmon is offline

Default whole wheat bread

Dick Margulis > wrote in
:

> engv9q2ghqa wrote:

>>> Yes. In addition to the two adjustments you've listed (less yeast
>>> and solid oven heat), start with cold water. If you use instant
>>> yeast (the kind you mix with the flour rather than dissolving), you
>>> can start with icewater in the summer and 60 to 70 F water in the
>>> winter. This will help slow down the fermentation and give you a
>>> little more time for flavor to develop. However, without salt you
>>> are still going to have to keep an eagle eye on the dough so it
>>> doesn't get away from you.
>>>
>>> Work it on the young side. That is, if the fermentation gets to the
>>> point that the dough collapses when you slap it, you've waited too
>>> long and you're going to have awful bread. Instead, let it start to
>>> rise and get soft, but don't let it go so far. Remember, the dough
>>> is ready when it's ready, not when the clock says it's ready.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Today, I tried less yeast, 1/2 tsp disolved in room temperature
>> water,

> Is it winter where you are?
>
>> first
>> rise took 2.5 hours. I let it rise in the pan 55 minutes. So, less
>> yeast makes it more manageable. However even though I put it in the
>> oven before it rose fully, it still collapsed.

Dick,

Could this dough have risen too long? The salt would have extended
rise, but he doesn't have any salt. I frequently let my doughs go 45
minutes with nornal salt and get good rise, oven spring, etc. I also
don't go much over 2 hours for a normal bread in fermentation.

It strikes me that the dough could be exhausted. A first rise of 2 1/2
hours follored by a one hour final rise could be enough to kill the
dough, espeically with no salt.

Barry