Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
engv9q2ghqa engv9q2ghqa is offline

Default whole wheat bread

"Dick Margulis" > wrote in message
> engv9q2ghqa wrote:
>> "Dick Margulis" > wrote in message
>>> engv9q2ghqa wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Today, I tried less yeast, 1/2 tsp disolved in room temperature water,

> Is it winter where you are?

It's summer. The amount of yeast is less than 1/4 of that called for in the
recipe (2 1/4 tsp) I was trying to slow down the yeast because it was going
too fast without salt. Yesterday I used 1 tsp disolved in 110 degree water
and it still went very fast.

>> first rise took 2.5 hours. I let it rise in the pan 55 minutes. So, less
>> yeast makes it more manageable. However even though I put it in the oven
>> before it rose fully, it still collapsed.

> What's the consistency of the dough? How are you kneading it (hand?
> machine? how long? what technique?...) It may just be that your dough is
> too underdeveloped to support itself.

I kneaded 8 minutes by hand, as the original recipe called for, using the
fold push turn method.
I don't know how to describe the consistency of the dough - it was dough not
batter, it was pliable after resting and stiffer after kneading. As I
kneaded it, when I felt it was a bit sticky I would spread some flour on the
board or the dough.

How should I be assessing the consistency of 100% whole wheat dough? What
should I be looking for?

>> The 4.5x8.5 pan was about 2/3 full when I put the loaf in to rise, and I
>> put it in the oven (400 degrees) when the top of the loaf just rose above
>> the edge of the pan.

> What's the weight of dough in that pan? Did you do the dimple test or just
> go by height?

For the first rise I used the dimple test, for the second rise I went by
height.

>> Should I try more flour/less water for a stiffer dough? Would adding egg
>> whites help? Less oil? Any other suggestions?

> Let's concentrate on technique first, formula second.

I'm trying to modify a recipe that includes sugar and salt to make a bread
without sugar and salt. From my perspective, I don't have a formula so I
think formula is worth giving some importance to.

If there are any existing recipies that use 100% whole wheat flour and no
sugar or salt to make a loaf of bread I'd love to know about them.

>> I'm measuring the whole wheat flour by stirring it in the bag and then
>> sprinkling it into the measuring cup to get ~4 oz by weight per cup. This
>> is how I have read one should measure flour for white bread, is it the
>> same for whole wheat flour?

> Yes, although it would be preferable to use a scale and weigh your
> ingredients.

My scale said my 3.5 cups weighted 15 ounces. (~4.3 oz per cup) I don't
know if the scale is accurate or not. I don't have any standard weights to
check it with.

Thanks