Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
engv9q2ghqa engv9q2ghqa is offline

Default whole wheat bread

"Dick Margulis" > wrote in message
> engv9q2ghqa wrote:
>>

>> I think the problem is that it rises too fast and I just need to use less
>> yeast and get my oven pre-heated before the dough rises too far. Does
>> anyone
>> have experience with this?

> Yes. In addition to the two adjustments you've listed (less yeast and
> solid oven heat), start with cold water. If you use instant yeast (the
> kind you mix with the flour rather than dissolving), you can start with
> icewater in the summer and 60 to 70 F water in the winter. This will help
> slow down the fermentation and give you a little more time for flavor to
> develop. However, without salt you are still going to have to keep an
> eagle eye on the dough so it doesn't get away from you.
>
> Work it on the young side. That is, if the fermentation gets to the point
> that the dough collapses when you slap it, you've waited too long and
> you're going to have awful bread. Instead, let it start to rise and get
> soft, but don't let it go so far. Remember, the dough is ready when it's
> ready, not when the clock says it's ready.

Hi,

Today, I tried less yeast, 1/2 tsp disolved in room temperature water, first
rise took 2.5 hours. I let it rise in the pan 55 minutes. So, less yeast
makes it more manageable. However even though I put it in the oven before it
rose fully, it still collapsed. The 4.5x8.5 pan was about 2/3 full when I
put the loaf in to rise, and I put it in the oven (400 degrees) when the top
of the loaf just rose above the edge of the pan. Should I try more
flour/less water for a stiffer dough? Would adding egg whites help? Less
oil? Any other suggestions?

I'm measuring the whole wheat flour by stirring it in the bag and then
sprinkling it into the measuring cup to get ~4 oz by weight per cup. This is
how I have read one should measure flour for white bread, is it the same for
whole wheat flour?

Would the fact that I am not adding sweetener (sugar/honey) as the original
recipe calls for be part of the problem?

Thanks