Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
engv9q2ghqa engv9q2ghqa is offline

Default whole wheat bread

Thanks! I have a couple of additional questions below...

"Dick Margulis" > wrote in message
> engv9q2ghqa wrote:
>>

>> I think the problem is that it rises too fast and I just need to use less
>> yeast and get my oven pre-heated before the dough rises too far. Does
>> anyone
>> have experience with this?

> Yes. In addition to the two adjustments you've listed (less yeast and
> solid oven heat), start with cold water. If you use instant yeast (the
> kind you mix with the flour rather than dissolving), you can start with
> icewater in the summer and 60 to 70 F water in the winter. This will help
> slow down the fermentation and give you a little more time for

This is something that is really confusing me. I've seen it in several
places. I don't understand how can slowing down fermentation give more
flavor. Isn't the flavor from the fermentation? If the yeast ferment a given
quantity of sugar or starch why does it matter if they do it slowly or
quickly? Isn't flavor and CO2 generated in proportion to the amount of sugar
or starch fermented? Why does the rate of fermentation matter?

>> Can I get this to work with less yeast and
>> shorter rising times? Is there a better way? I'd like to get a yeasty
>> flavor through long rise times. Is there anyway to get that? The recipe
>> calls for kneading once, and after the first rise, shaping the loaves and
>> letting them rise in the pan. Would it do any harm to knead again after
>> the
>> first rise and do a second rise before shaping the loaves etc?

> No, you don't want to do that. Take the dough young, as I said, and then
> when you're proofing it in the pans, do the same thing again: take it

Okay, but I'd like to understand this. What would happen if I did a short
knead and allowed a second rise before shaping and putting it in the pans?

Thanks,