Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Price of Oranges

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> I can get oranges at Costco for less, and most all produce there for less
> than my local grocery, but it is not dependable. In the last few months I
> have thrown out more than I've used. I'm getting very leary of their
> produce which I used to depend on. I will still buy their red bell
> peppers.

Since produce doesn't come out of a machine, it's always going to be
variable. Some buyers (the store's purchasing agents) know how to wrangle
good stuff more often from growers and wholesalers, and some don't. People
who know how to do this are easily wooed away from companies like Wal Mart
and Costco, by supermarkets willing to pay better salaries, and who actually
care about their image.