Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default skirt-boy: burden of proof not met

On Jul 29, 8:26 pm, Dutch > wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> >> Wha? Who the hell talks like that? You mean "bullshit"?

> > This is your idea of serious discussion, is it?

> counterfactual. A conditional statement whose antecedent is known (or,
> at least, believed) to be contrary to fact.
>
> What the hell are you talking about?

Counterfactual thought-experiments are quite often used in moral
philosophy. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't sometimes be
useful.

> >> but that's

> >> I don't want to talk about it,

> > Fine, don't. Then I can stop wasting my time.

> YOU are the one who is supposed to be explaining it.

I've been trying, I've surely been trying.

> >> I want YOU to give an example that might
> >> occur in the real world to represent that description you gave. All I
> >> can think of is things like hoards of severely retarded people being
> >> coated with deadly pesticides, I suppose you would be OK with that.

> > I can't give you an example which might occur in the real world. I can
> > only give you highly counterfactual examples.

> So the moral guidelines you are proposing we must follow don't relate to
> situations in the real world?

Yes, they do. But to determine how they apply in particular
circumstances you may need to consider highly counterfactual
situations.

> That seems misguided.

That doesn't seem like much of an argument. Maybe you could elaborate.
What's wrong with them?

> What's their purpose?

To guide behaviour.

> I've done that. Yes, I
>
> > would be okay with that, you have said elsewhere that you would be
> > too.

> How is that possible, I just made that scenario up out of my head.

We've talked this over before. I'll find the message for you later if
you like.