Posted to talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural
Dutch Dutch is offline

Default skirt-boy: burden of proof not met

Rupert wrote:
> On Jul 29, 5:15 am, Dutch > wrote:
>> Rupert wrote:
>>> Yes, that's right. It's a highly counterfactual scenario,

>> Wha? Who the hell talks like that? You mean "bullshit"?
>>

> This is your idea of serious discussion, is it?

counterfactual. A conditional statement whose antecedent is known (or,
at least, believed) to be contrary to fact.

What the hell are you talking about?

>> but that's
>>
>>> the sort of thing you've got to talk about if you want to apply the
>>> notion of "equal consideration" in that context.

>> I don't want to talk about it,

> Fine, don't. Then I can stop wasting my time.

YOU are the one who is supposed to be explaining it.

>> I want YOU to give an example that might
>> occur in the real world to represent that description you gave. All I
>> can think of is things like hoards of severely retarded people being
>> coated with deadly pesticides, I suppose you would be OK with that.

> I can't give you an example which might occur in the real world. I can
> only give you highly counterfactual examples.

So the moral guidelines you are proposing we must follow don't relate to
situations in the real world? That seems misguided. What's their purpose?

I've done that. Yes, I
> would be okay with that, you have said elsewhere that you would be
> too.

How is that possible, I just made that scenario up out of my head.