Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN 05 Vissoux Beaujolais, 05 Souhaut Syrah

DaleW wrote:
> Last night Betsy made a starter course of chard/ricotto gnocchi in
> sage butter (she's made an almost identical recipe before, which they
> called "malfatti", but Marcella just calls gnocchi). Went well with
> leftover Macon. Before dinner, I had opened the 2005 Pierre-Marie
> Chermette (Domaine du Vissoux) "Cuvée Traditionelle" Beaujolais VV.
> It was rather mute at that time, with fair amount of tannins for a
> Beaujolais sticking out. But after we finished appetizer, Betsy served
> the chicken (with herbs, potatoes,and pancetta, a Biba C. recipe). We
> switched to red, and quite a pretty Beaujolais greeted us. Some soft
> tannis in background, but overall a lighter wine. Pretty black cherry
> fruit with a little hint of grenadine, sweet and smoky. Delicate but
> with real verve. MArk was right to put this on his under$20 list,
> excellent for the money! B+

Interesting to read your impressions of it, Dale. I'm surprised that
you found it as tannic as you did, because one of its greatest appeals
to us was that, unlike so many '05 Bojos, it was quite open and
approachable. In fact, it's probably been my favorite '05 for near-term
drinking, even more so than the Brun and Tete that I included in that list.

Mark Lipton