Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Dee Dee Dee is offline

Default Price of Oranges

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message

> Where in VA do you live? And where do you shop?

I live approx 70 miles due west (Hwy 66) of D.C. then on Hwy 81 to 30 miles
south of Winchester -

in northern VA, one could find amazing bargains at
> some of the big Asian stores. Have you tried there, if you live in
> that area?

We go occasionally, but not nearly often enough, to Fairfax where there are
numerous huge Asian/Hispanic stores. We load up. Sometimes I will freeze
some produce I've bought; the bargains (which are normal price) are so hard
to pass up, and I'm greedy when I see all that produce. It's funny, but the
produce will go down hill after a while, then another huge store will open
up with great produce.

> Yesterday, I got two heads of cauliflower for 88cents each.

A good price here for cauliflower is $2.49. I love cauliflower, so I'll buy
it more often than broccoli, but DH prefers broccoli. Broccoli has a
certain fishy taste that it's hard for me to eat it often -- except
smothered with cheese, of course ;-).

And
> broccoli crowns were about 98 cents/pound. The stone fruits were
> about 70-80cents per pound, for the most part. I think I got oranges
> for a lot less than you did.

I can get oranges at Costco for less, and most all produce there for less
than my local grocery, but it is not dependable. In the last few months I
have thrown out more than I've used. I'm getting very leary of their
produce which I used to depend on. I will still buy their red bell peppers.

> But try some of the Asian markets if you are close to any.

Great advice. Just wish I would go there more often. It is balanced-off
with trips on the same run to Wegmans, Trader Joes & Whole Foods. Right
now, I don't see a trip scheduled because there are some other priorities.