Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent Kent is offline

Default Not BBQ, but, brine a turkey before deep frying?

"43fan" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've never brined anything, so... I figure the good folks here are the
> most knowledgeable I've run into when it comes to BBQ, so probably when it
> comes to the deep fried turkey as well.
>
> I've deep fried a few in the past, some with injections, some without, all
> with basically just salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder sprinkled on the
> outside.
>
> Having a get together here in a few weekends, I'm doing up some brisket or
> pulled pork, not sure which yet, but my brother in law wants to do a deep
> fried turkey as well, small one, prob. around 9-10lb.
>
> Thanks!

I haven't deep fried a turkey, but if I were, I would definitely brine.
Brining adds flavor and salt to the meat, and retains moisture, particularly
in the breast meat. When you deep fry you sear and seal the outside. At the
same time you cook the interior.
The moisture and added seasonings will be there when you chow down.
Create your brine solution; put the turkey in a 2.5 gallon zip lock bag with
the brine for at least 24 hours. Then dry it out, and do what you were
originally going to do.
Report back to us.
TIA

Kent

BTW, what kind of oil do you use? How many times can you use it before you
have to replace the oil?