Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default 2001 Brunello Poggio $34.99

On Jul 25, 6:20?pm, "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> Poggio Il Castellare Brunello 2001
>
> WS 91pts, a Solid red, with plum, berry andlight cedar character.
> Full-bodied, with solid tannins and long finish. Best after 2007.
> Reg $49.99.Sale $34.99 (2,165 cases made.)
>
> WS rated 2001 vintage for Brunello 98 points.
>
> Why is Poggio rated 91 points, and vintage for Brunello 98 points?
> Is this two different rating systems; one for the wine itself and one for
> the year (vintage)?
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

Yes. Many publications rate vintages as well as individual wines (and
even more caveats apply than to individual wine rankings!).And before
someone asks, the vintage ranking is NOT supposed to be an average of
the individual wines, but merely a comparison between vintages. I
don't find vintage rankings very helpful, as I'm more concerned with
vintage characteristics than a supposed scale.