Posted to alt.food.wine
st.helier[_1_] st.helier[_1_] is offline

Default Never tasted a Pinot Noir ...

"Dee Dee" wrote ..............

> But as I like to try all Kirkland's wines, against my better judgment,
> I did buy their Pinot Noir, Central Otago, 2006, New Zealand. $16.79.

I am gobsmacked at this price - at current exchange rates, this equates to
about $NZ20 - it is impossible to get a Central Otago PN for this price -
even here in NZ, let alone allowing for shipping costs, two/three tier
margins etc.

Mt Difficulty does a second label called "Roaring Meg" which sells in NZ for
$NZ25 - and this is a very acceptable wine, so I figure that the Kirkland
wine may be similar.

But - the pedantic side of my personality can pick a hole in their
descriptions on their website.

Notwithstanding the fact that the 2006 was an early picked vintage, the
grapes would not have been harvested until late March 06. (I mean, this IS
the Southern Hemisphere!)

Allow several weeks for fermentation, then (as stated) 14 months in French
oak) then (help me winemakers!!!) three/four weeks for racking, settling,
stabilising, fining, bottling, labeling, packaging, a couple weeks shipping
to the USA - importing and transshipment - hold on, that means this wine
would be available - in September or October 07 ????

Someone has got their story a bit skew-wiff (oh the pain of being the
pedant!)

Anyhow, there has been 100s of hectares of Pinot Noir planted in and around
Central Otago over the past 10 years; commentators are silently predicting
that CO PN may become the red equivalent of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.

Me? The best is superb New World Pinot - and at $US16 - well, one can't
really go wrong.

--

st.helier