Posted to rec.food.cooking
-bwg -bwg is offline

Default limes

hahabogus wrote:
> Key Limes are just about ping-pong ball size (well a tad larger). On the
> whole a lime produces less juice than a lemon, but Key limes produce the

The key limes I've been getting are a bit smaller than pingpong balls
(if I remember pingpong balls' size right). I'd say they are more like
large marbles. I get about a cup of juice from a 2-pound sack of them.
My daughter went bonkers for key lime pie and key lime ade, so we've
been making a lot of both and have a lot of experience with key limes
this year. A cup of juice is enough for two pies or a little less than
3 cups of key lime syrup.

> least amount of juice even less than their smaller size would indicate
> (at least to my way of looking at it). Perhaps googling for images of
> both types persian and key limes would help ...no not bowling for
> dollars.

I think it would be impossible to confuse key limes and persian limes
if you have ever seen either as they differ greatly in size. Are there
other varieties of limes available commercially? I know there are also
kaffir limes and their leaves are available, but I don't think their
fruit are available commercially.

-bwg