Posted to alt.food.wine
Bill S. Bill S. is offline

Default Terrine Event #4

On Jul 22, 12:24 pm, Joseph Coulter <yourDROPTHIS2comcast.net> wrote:
> "Bill S." > wrote in news:1185127339.812491.231510
> @x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>
> > 2000 Montes Alpha Syrah - this wine always shows mint, yet it
> > definitely doesn't come across as Australian so it is a good ringer.
> > It has some sweetness on entry but not much in the mouth and wasn't
> > really varietally correct in terms of nose and profile, unlike the
> > following wine.

> I am not sure what you were trying to say here. The wine is , of course
> Chilean, were your trying to throw the guesses off with a Syrah that wasn't
> OZ?

This wine makes a good ringer because it has the weight and style of a
Rhone - definitely not Californian or Australian weight nor
concentration/sweetness, yet it does have that one clue that might
point you to Oz.

One taster asked if it might be South African, and I thought that was
a very good guess.