Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus hahabogus is offline

Default Russian Mennonite Recipe search

biig > wrote in :

> We toured Western Canada for a month and ate at a Mennonite
> restaurant in a Heritage Village near Winnipeg Manitoba. I've been
> looking for recipes for the dishes we had and have had only a little
> luck. We had vereniki served with a cream sauce called schmauntfatt,
> Komst Borscht, that was excellent. The sausage that came with the
> platter was over-cooked, but everything else was delicious.
>
> I've found a recipe for the Komst Borscht, and found out the the
> vereniki was actually a perogi (sp) filled with cottage cheese, but the
> cream sauce has been elusive. I've done a web search and had no luck

so
> far. Does anyone have any idea what it may be. It wasn't just a white
> sauce because the colour wasn't right. For dessert, we had Rhubarb
> Plautz. I think it was a little like Barb's rhubarb custard cake.
> ..........Sharon

What you didn't have the green bean soup or the butter soup?...both are
excellent. I haven't eaten at the heritage Village but further west in
the towns of Winkler and Morden there is excellent Mennonite food.

I suggest checking out Amish food for a similar recipe...that where I
found my copycat green bean soup recipe (almost exactly right... still
playing with it though). Or inquire on-line at the heritage village...
perhaps a cookbook is for sale. Or they might know where a cookbook
might be purchased.

http://www.mennoniteheritagevillage.com/

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan