Posted to rec.food.cooking
nobody@nowhere nobody@nowhere is offline

Default How do you make spongy pancakes?

In article om>, CM
> wrote:

>I love IHOP pancakes--they are spongy and soak up butter and syrup but
>whenever I make pancakes at home they are dense and "cakey". What is the
>secret to making more spongy pancakes?

You need some leavening, like baking powder or baking soda:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leavening_agent

"A leavening agent (sometimes called just leavening or leaven) is a substance
used in doughs and batters that causes a foaming action. The leavening agent
reacts with moisture, heat, acidity, or other triggers to produce gas that
becomes trapped as bubbles within the dough. When a dough or batter is baked,
it 'sets' and the holes left by the gas bubbles remain, giving breads, cakes,
and other baked goods their soft, sponge-like textures."

HTH!