Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default bloody meat

On Jul 16, 10:47?pm, jjfjksdf > wrote:
> I've been working on being a good "griller" for several years.
> I like my steaks medium or medium rare. Wife likes hers well done
> to my dismay. My biggest problem in getting her to accept less
> than rare is the blood.

I don't think you meant "less than rare", you meant *less than well
done*... with well done there'd be no juices (it's not blood)

> Whenever I grill a medium steak, I place it
> on the plate, then a pool of blood collects underneath.

Don't place her steak on her plate, place it on a different plate to
rest for a few minutes and so that it can reabsorb some of it's
juices. Steak should never be plated directly from the grill.

Most steak houses murder steak, they don't permit it to rest, instead
they place it directly on those awful preheated metal trenchers, so it
can sit in a pool of it's own juices and stew. The best way (really
the only way) to serve steak is on a wooden trencher, saves good
knives too... NEVER EVER use serrated knives to cut steak (or any
meat). Anyone owns those awful serrated steak knives toss them in the
trash right now, they serve no useful purpose. If you're a meat eater
invest in a set of wooden trenchers. If you're a crafts person it's
easy to make your own, or contact a local cabinet/woodworking shop
(that's what I did), or search <wooden plates> or <wooden steak
plates>. Some folks just place a thin disk of hardwood into their
dinnerware (like a charger set up). Or these look interesting, I'm
very inclined to order a set: http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Steak-P.../dp/B0000DDVQH

Sheldon