Posted to soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.polish,soc.culture.german,soc.culture.baltics,rec.food.cooking
[email protected] vkarlamov1@yahoo.com is offline

Default American hot dog tastes like cardboard ( Chinese food tastes like cardboard)

On Jul 15, 2:18 pm, " > wrote:
> On Jul 15, 4:38 pm, wrote:
>
> > I suppose the American way of putting the frank and condiments between
> > the buns was indeed s good idea, unknown in the USSR. In the USSR,
> > they used to eat franks from the regular plate, usually with hot peas
> > and french fries, or mashed potatoes, and maybe mustard.

> What are French fries called in Russian?

"Kartofel fri". (from the French "frit" (fried)).

> Did they have them before a decade and a half ago?

Yes. certainly, fried potatoes have for centuries been a Russian
staple, especially fried chanterelles/cepes/morels with fried
potatoes, sour cream and dill.

Deep fried potatoes (real french fries) were not a home but a
restaurant food (need too much oil/butter).

> They sort of existed in Lithuania, but weren't
> paid much attention to, certainly weren't worshipped like now.

My parents took me to restaurants only on vacations, and most my
summer vacations were spent in Druskinikai, Lithuania. So, ironically,
I associate french fries with Lithuania.

> Instead, why had kugelis and bulviniu blynu,

What does "bulviniu" mean?

> not to mention cepelinu.

Yes, in Russia cepelini are considered the quintessential Lithuanian
dish. But they usually refer to them as "
( )" (didjukulai).

I also loved the Lithuanian rendition of golubtsi (cabbage rolls) with
sour cream/tomato sauce.