Posted to alt.food.wine
Ed Rasimus Ed Rasimus is offline

Default Lunch Wines

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 07:55:53 -0700, "Bill S." > wrote:

As usual, your "lunch" notes describe a gargantuan feast for the
senses that leaves me feeling sympathy pangs for a post-prandial
nap...possibly leading into tomorrow's breakfast. I come away envious
again.

But, this prompts a question:

>2004 Petales d'Osoyoos - BC Bordeaux blend made by affiliate of
>Gruaud. Medium dark colour, a nose of ripe sweet fruit amply laced
>with dill and a hefty whack of pepper which instantly lets it out of
>being mistaken as Bordeaux.. Decent wine at $25 Can.

Until about a year ago I never recall a conscious awareness of dill
notes in a wine. They might have been there, but certainly not in very
obvious concentration.

Now, in the last year it seems that I'm increasingly getting dill both
in aroma and taste in red wines, usually cabernet sauvignon or cab
blends. I first really became aware of it in some Becker Vineyards
wines (Rockwall TX) both cab and cab blend.

Then I found it in some Fife Petite Syrah and even a Ridge Zin.
Typically the dill comes on strong shortly after opening and then will
abate or blow off in a bit of time or with some swirling.

Is this a trend, a manifestation of terroir, a chemical reaction, a
wine-maker intent/error?
Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"