Posted to alt.food.wine
Bill S. Bill S. is offline

Default Lunch Wines

Monthly blind tasting lunch notes

Carles Andreu Cava Brut (nv) - excellent persistent mousse, lots of
green apple in the nose, finishes just very slightly off dry with good
acidity. Nice Cava.

1998 Champagne Lenoble Brut Rose- a pinkie made from 80% chard 20% PN.
No apples in the nose here - it was all strawberry ( or some thought
raspberry). Nice.

2000 Louis Michel Chablis Prem. Cru Montee de Tonnerre - dry mineral
nose, soft, pleasant and possibly overly subtle in terms of flavour....

2004 Petales d'Osoyoos - BC Bordeaux blend made by affiliate of
Gruaud. Medium dark colour, a nose of ripe sweet fruit amply laced
with dill and a hefty whack of pepper which instantly lets it out of
being mistaken as Bordeaux.. Decent wine at $25 Can.

1989 Ch. Haut Batailley - I'd had this wine young when it was all
about fruit, but hadn't tried it for some years. This time around it
showed a slightly perfumed nose otherwise typical fruit and a bit of
oak, and on palate, while it still had sufficient fruit it was no
longer lavish, ending with good length, quite dry. Quite a change but
still a nice claret.

2000 Ch. Lanessan - this usually modest Haut Medoc showed quite well.
Dark, with a sweet ripe fruit nose, and low acidity iot is ready to
roll - and that means I better start hunting my cellar for mine (I
also see I am supposed to have some 95 and a solitary, and probably
deceased 1978!)

1990 Ch. Montrose - I don't think I can recall a nose with as much
animal or Burgundian funk from a Bordeaux - a real barnyard
performance, but not off-putting at all, at least for me. While the
tannins seemed almost resolved on initial tasting, it was clear as
that perception changed with airing that there was still a strong
backbone to this wine - it stiffened up as you looked at it. Drinkable
now, it has a long life ahead. Should be about ready to drink by the
time I find mine in the cellar...

2000 Alban Grenache Eden Valley - this one had us all over the place
as we just couldn't' nail the varietal. Purple wine with a sweet nose,
and pretty good fruit, a tad flat in the middle, but ending well.

2001 Alban Reva Syrah - similar, but a step up in terms of nose -
sweeter, with the telltale black pepper, much more Rhonish and with
better length.

1999 Castello Banfi Brunello - good showing from the regular bottling
- dark with still firm tannins, but good fruit and excellent with food
at this point.

2000 Sette Ponti Oreno - ended with a Super Tuscan (cab, merlot and
sangio). Dark, with thick legs, a bit warm in the mouth and a marked
bitterness in the dry finish, this wine was relegated to last serving
position simply because the restaurant hadn't tasted it before, but it
worked out well as a cheese wine.