Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.food.drink,nyc.food,ba.food,alt.california
Dana Myers Dana Myers is offline

Default What's in Wine--you don't wanna know -- Vinovation's Smith Scoffsat Noxious wine-additives Spi suggestions

axlq wrote:
> In article >,
> Dana Myers > wrote:

>> Though adding sugar isn't legal in CA, adding concentrated grape
>> juice is. Afterall, what's wine but fermented grape juice? Look
>> for the blue plastic barrels outside winery production facilities...

> Interesting. I never noticed that in any of the wineries I have
> visited, but then, I don't visit the big commercial operations
> (why should I when I can buy their wine more cheaply at Costco?).

It's not just the big commercial operations; small producers
might do it, too. The goal isn't always to increase alcohol;
the concentrate also adds color (at least one Wine Spectator
"Wine of the Year" in recent history from a very small
producer was rumored to have done exactly this).

Dana