Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bobo Bonobo® Bobo Bonobo® is offline

Default Good uses for skim milk?

On Jul 13, 10:33 am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> > > People, people, you can use skim milk in any recipe that uses milk and
> > > doesn't require heavy cream! Wake up! {slap slap} No wonder we're
> > > 33% obese!

> > Eating fat doesn't make people fat. Eating calories makes people
> > fat. Fat suppresses appetite. High GI carbs make people ravenously
> > hungry a few hours later.
> > Dry baked potato is about as bad as anything could possibly be, and
> > the obese people out there are the ones who stuff themselves full of
> > the stuff in the aisles of the supermarket, not the

> Many of the obese people out there eat things that are not healthy
> because those items are filling and less expensive. That includes
> potatoes (your example) and other stuff like mac 'n cheese, etc. Many
> of these people (not all) have no choice about what kind of food
> budget they have.
>

> > *Starchy stuff like white potatoes excepted

> I don't know if you're right or not; I know your statement is the
> premise of one of the most recent fad diets.

Low carb isn't a fad diet.

> I DO know that eating fat isn't good for anyone's arteries or heart
> health, and I'll never be convinced that fat intake doesn't contribute
> to obesity.

Depends on the variety of fat. If one cuts carbs down to under 200
calories a day, and ups consumption of GOOD fats, those being a
certain amount of Omega 3s, a lot of monounsaturates like olive and
peanut oils, some of the neutral saturated fats like cocoa butter,
even if you allow yourself things like chicken skin, and yes, some
less healthy butterfat, you will cut your plasma triglycerides
dramatically. You will also not harm your HDL/LDL ratio.

The ketogenic diet is not new, it's not even only 35-40 years old. It
was not, as many believe, invented by Dr. Atkins.

"The ketogenic diet is a high fat, adequate protein, low carbohydrate
diet designed to mimic many of the biochemical changes associated with
prolonged starvation. First developed in the early 1900s, and
successfully used for the treatment of seizures in children during the
20s and 30s...The ketogenic diet is not a 'fad' or a 'quack diet'..."
source-- http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/ketogenic.html

In fact, one of the (potentially undesirable) side effects (not
mentioned in the above website) is weight loss.

Bodybuilders use a technique called "cyclic ketogenic" to get rid of
body fat so you can see their muscle definition.

> N.

--Bryan