Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.food.drink,nyc.food,ba.food,alt.california
axlq axlq is offline

Default What's in Wine--you don't wanna know -- Vinovation's Smith Scoffsat Noxious wine-additives Spi suggestions

In article >,
Dana Myers > wrote:
>axlq wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Steve Slatcher > wrote:
>>> If you really want to know:
>>> http://www.awri.com.au/analytical_se...sp?additive=89

>> That tells you additives permitted by country only. California
>> has restrictions that other states don't have. For example
>> chaptalization - adding sugar - isn't legal in California
>> (regardless of its alleged rampancy),

>Though adding sugar isn't legal in CA, adding concentrated grape
>juice is. Afterall, what's wine but fermented grape juice? Look
>for the blue plastic barrels outside winery production facilities...

Interesting. I never noticed that in any of the wineries I have
visited, but then, I don't visit the big commercial operations
(why should I when I can buy their wine more cheaply at Costco?).
Certainly the winery my family is involved in never does that. In
my view, you should get what you get from the grapes you grow, and
add nothing extra.

-A