Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.food.drink,nyc.food,ba.food,alt.california
axlq axlq is offline

Default What's in Wine--you don't wanna know -- Vinovation's Smith Scoffs at Noxious wine-additives Spi suggestions

http://www.awri.com.au/analytical_se...sp?additive=89

>> That tells you additives permitted by country only. California
>> has restrictions that other states don't have. For example
>> chaptalization - adding sugar - isn't legal in California
>> (regardless of its alleged rampancy), although it's permitted and
>> downright necessary in other states that can't grow grapes with
>> sufficient sugar content.

>In California, you are more likely to add water to cut sugar.

Actually, I don't see anyone adding water, but rather letting it
ferment and then using a molecular filter to remove the excess
alcohol. At least, that's true for smaller wineries specializing in
big-flavored reds; they absolutely don't want to water it down.

-A