Read

Default Baked Tofu

> From: Vicky >
> I am interested in making a baked tofu. I have tasted this but don't

know
> how it was made. Tofu was cooked in the oven< I think, until it was
> browned on bothe sided and weas firm and chewy. Then a sauce was

painted
> over it and it was cooked until the sauce dried and made a savory film
> over the surface? If anyone has a recipe they would like to share please
> post it. Thanks

This isn't quite the method you're describing, but it's very good.

Baked Tofu

2 cakes (12 oz each) firm tofu
3 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1.5 Tbsp medium dry sherry or rice wine/sake
1.5 Tbsp rice or cider vinegar
1 lg clove garlic, minced or pressed
3 Tbsp minced onion
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
..25 cup water
..5 tsp chili paste

Press the tofu: place the cakes in a pan and put a plate on top, put a
weight (about 4 lbs) on top, and let stand 30 minutes. (This removes
water, firming the tofu and, more importantly, causing it to absorb the
sauce.) Preheat oven to 375F. Mix the other ingredients together (if you
use a blender or food processor, you don't have to mince the ingredients).
Oil a 9x13" pan and add the sauce to the pan. Slice each cake of tofu into
three horizontally, and then those slices into whatever shape you like
(cubes, triangles). Add the tofu to the pan with the sauce, turn once to
coat, and bake about 45 minutes, until most of the water has evaporated,
turning the tofus 2-3 times during baking.

Adapted from Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives: