Posted to rec.food.cooking
Blair P. Houghton Blair P. Houghton is offline

Default How do I make tomato sauce out of tomato paste?

Kris > wrote:
>I always have tomato paste & diced tomatoes on hand (should do the
>same with sauce, eh?) for cooking.

If you have those, you already have sauce.

A can of diced tomatoes and 1/3-1/2 can of paste.

Add oregano, marjoram, basil, thyme, rosemary, fennel,
and a little sautee'd onion (done in olive oil).

And garlic. Two cloves. Sliced thin.

If you want, add seared meat. You can also sear the
tomato paste a little just before you add the tomatoes.

Reduce a bit and add a few tbs of cooked-pasta water
to add starch for thickening.

>I remember reading somewhere about canned tomatoes. The article said
>that they really are the next best thing to fresh, or even better at
>times, especially in the months when tomatoes are pretty gross.

Yup. Tomatoes can beautifully.

--Blair