Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default How do I make tomato sauce out of tomato paste?

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Kris wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It's been a while, but I had to ask this. How do I turn a small can of
> > tomato paste into something akin to tomato sauce?
> >
> > Tomato sauce is the one ingredient for tonight's dinner (Spanish rice)
> > that I forgot to buy, and it's too darn HOT to go out and buy some, so
> > I'm going to try & improvise.
> >
> > I'm assuming I'll add water, S&P, maybe onion powder (if I have some,
> > which I don't think I do).
> >
> > Anyone know ratios/other ingredients?
> >
> > Many thanks to any help,
> > Kris

> You really can't. You can dilute tomato paste and add garlic, herbs and
> spices but it won't turn into tomato sauce. Tomato paste is very bland and
> there's not much you can do about it.
>
> I've always kept cans of tomato sauce on hand, as well as cans of diced
> tomatoes and even whole canned tomatoes, in the event I need to make
> something quick. I know this doesn't help you, just saying, next time stock
> up.
>
> Jill

I respectfully disagree Jill. :-)
Tomato paste can be a good base ingredient for a sauce if you are
willing to play with it. Slightly chunky veggies can go a long way
towards turning it into a sauce. Sliced mushrooms, diced tomatoes, (even
from fresh if you blanch and peel), slice rather than diced or minced
onions, fresh herbs or dried herbs, etc.

I liked someone's idea of using wine instead of water to thin it. Stock
would work too.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.