Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_3_] sf[_3_] is offline

Default How do I make tomato sauce out of tomato paste?

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 13:22:40 -0700, Kris >
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>It's been a while, but I had to ask this. How do I turn a small can of
>tomato paste into something akin to tomato sauce?
>
>Tomato sauce is the one ingredient for tonight's dinner (Spanish rice)
>that I forgot to buy, and it's too darn HOT to go out and buy some, so
>I'm going to try & improvise.
>
>I'm assuming I'll add water, S&P, maybe onion powder (if I have some,
>which I don't think I do).
>
>Anyone know ratios/other ingredients?

The basic is 1:1. One can of tomato paste to one can of water... add
more water if you want it thinner. You can substitute wine for water
if your recipe would benefit. You have other ingredients in your
recipe, so use those for flavoring the dish - don't fuss about
flavoring the tomato paste.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins