Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] rossr35253@forteinc.com is offline

Default Bradley smokers?

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:01:04 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >

>> Dave,
>>
>> Any opinion on the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker?
>> http://tinyurl.com/2u7qho

>The electric Masterbuilts are a less mature iteration of the Cook Shacks. I
>like that Masterbuilt also insulates the box. I think that they turn out
>pretty good bbq.
>
>The downside is grease control. Even though it does have a grease collector
>of sorts, it gets really messy in the box. You will need to plan on spending
>a lot more time cleaning it out. It helps to use a large pan placed on the
>shelf below the meat to catch the drippings. It also helps to line the
>bottom with aluminum foil -- punching a hole through the drain hole.
>Denatured alcohol works well at getting grease off of stainless steel.
>
>I don't know how durable the electric element is, so check with Masterbuilt
>to find out how much replacements are and how to do the replacement.
>
>For the dollars, it looks like a good deal. BTW, if Sam's is carrying both
>the stainless and the black exteriors, consider that the black won't get
>near as grungy looking as the stainless steel model and so requires less
>cosmetic cleaning of the outside. The insides are the same.

Thanks Dave.

They only had the all stainless model so I figured for almost $150.00
off the regular price I couldn't lose so, I picked one up.
Stopped in to our usual supermarket on the way home and was really
happy to see that they had whole boneless pork loin halves on sale for
$1.47/lb. Picked up four of them, cut two in half and the other two
into nice thick chops. Froze two of the half loins and half of the
chops. Put the rest into the Masterbuilt along with 8 whole pork
hocks, set it at 225ºF and let it do its thing. Used hickory chips and
the pork came out beautifully.
Had some of the hocks along with some home made sauerkraut for supper
last night. (I don't know about the rest of the country but, hocks and
kraut is a regional favourite in these parts). We really enjoyed them.
I think I'm going to try a small turkey pretty soon.

Ross.