Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet B. Janet B. is offline

Default OT -- Tiger Frogs

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> The Joneses > wrote in message

> [snip]
>
>> I love hearing about the kids. But this is a food group
>> and now you have to tell us what else they eat. Besides
>> that first course... And can we eat them?

> The tadpoles eat will eat pellets, green or red leaf lettuce, aquatic
> plants, each other... They're not particular. It's rather shocking to have
> forty one night and half the following morning. When they morph into
> air-breathing amphibians, I fed them cut-up worms (meal and earth), blocks
> of blood worms, and an unlucky de-winged fly when Lady Luck allowed. When
> they become full-fledged frogs, any insect unlucky enough to fly within
> range of their mouth is going to disappear.

Dog food is much cheaper than the pellets and they enjoy it just as much.
We always did our spring time hatch in last year's wading pool. As adults,
the little critters raised such a din that you could barely get to sleep at
night. Alas, we now have a wicked Cruella neighbor that enjoys denuding the
surrounding creekside landscape of any foliage or trees and dumping all yard
waste into the creek. All is silent.
Janet