Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Gunner[_6_] Gunner[_6_] is offline

Default Oregano tostado?

"Rechazador de Disparates" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jul 4, 12:44 pm, "Gunner" > wrote:
>

>> I think you have over translated "Oregano Tostado". Oregano Dried or
>> fresh is sometimes toasted lightly to release its essential oils such
>> as
>> is done with Fennel and Cumin seed and other spices and herbs?

> http://www.cooking.com/recipes/static/recipe3232.htm
>
> "Meanwhile, toast and grind the cumin seeds and toast the oregano as
> described at left (don't toast dried oregano)"
>
> http://www.cooking.com/recipes/static/recipe3740.htm

My apology; that was meant as a statement, not a question and in
contradiction to the first reference, yes you can
toast dried Oregano as your second reference indicates:

RECIPE METHOD

Toasting herbs and spices such as oregano, thyme, and cumin is a
technique used especially in southwestern cooking to bring out more complex
flavor tones.

Place in a dry skillet over low heat and toast, stirring frequently,
for about 1 minute, until fragrant. Take care not to scorch herbs or spices,
or they will taste bitter.

Recipe reprinted by permission of Harper Collins. All rights reserved.

As I said toasting is a widely used technique among cooks and chefs.