Posted to rec.food.cooking
Becca Becca is offline

Default Reheating ham

Kent wrote:

> Once a spiral cut ham goes to the table and the slice removal is
> started too much air gets into too many places, and the ham dries
> out. We don't buy spiral sliced hams for that reason, no matter how
> cheap they are at Costco[tightwad, certified]. When you "bake" a ham
> all you're doing is warming up an already cooked product. If it's not
> spiraled, you can do it several times without adverse effect. With
> spiral slicers that just doesn't work.
>
> You know the other thing you can do is to put the leftover ham in a
> braising pan. Add liquid about 2" up from the bottom, cover and
> gently braise until the temp. is reached. Baste now and then. In
> fact it's probably better than trying to bake it. We routinely do
> hams this way, as described by Julia.
>
> Kent Kent
>
> Kent

About every 2 weeks, I buy a spiral sliced ham at the supermarket. I
bring it home and I cut the ham off the bone. I put the ham in one of
those square, plastic Glad tupperware-type containers and I refrigerate
it. I freeze the bone and I use that to cook beans, or cabbage, etc.
Maybe I have been lucky, but the ham never seems to try out.

Becca