Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent Kent is offline

Default Reheating ham

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 3, 1:13?pm, "Kent" > wrote:
>> "Mitch" <Mitch@...> wrote in message
>>
>> ... >I made a spiral cut
>> ham bout a month ago and froze the leftovers.
>> > I thawed them out this week.

>> > If I reheat in the oven, covered, will it dry out?
>> > Or should I just nuke it?

>> Tie it together with string to close tightly any gaps between the slices.
>> Shield the exposed side with aluminum foil first.
>> Put a water pan in the oven.
>> Before you put it in the oven bring it to room temp. Warm it up in the
>> oven
>> at a low temp. 250-275F only to 110-112F in the center of the ham.
>> It may take several hours.
>> It should be fine.
>>
>> Kent

> You're reheating leftover ham... it's NOT open heart surgery! sheesh

Once a spiral cut ham goes to the table and the slice removal is started too
much air gets into too many places, and the ham dries out. We don't buy
spiral sliced hams for that reason, no matter how cheap they are at
Costco[tightwad, certified]. When you "bake" a ham all you're doing is
warming up an already cooked product. If it's not spiraled, you can do it
several times without adverse effect. With spiral slicers that just doesn't
work.

You know the other thing you can do is to put the leftover ham in a braising
pan. Add liquid about 2" up from the bottom, cover and gently braise until
the temp. is reached. Baste now and then. In fact it's probably better than
trying to bake it. We routinely do hams this way, as described by Julia.

Kent
Kent

Kent