Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent Kent is offline

Default Live crabs on the grill?

"Ray" > wrote in message
news:61Ehi.2082$bh5.697@trndny01...
> Does anyone know of any techniques to cook live crabs on a grill? I read
> something about using a damp burlap sack and steaming them. Just curious
> if that would work.

You can freeze the crab to numb it, then chop it up and clean it and grill.
I prefer to steam live crabs. Having steamed many crabs over the years I
wouldn't grill. I don't think you gain
anything by putting it on the grill. I buy live crab and steam it. Then
remove the outer shell and the viscera, and then eat the crab meat. You can
buy a 32 cm steamer in an Asian supermarket for about $25. Use skeleton to
make crab stock and use the leftover meat to make crab newberg with the crab
stock.
Boiling the crab wastes the use of the remains for stock and it dilutes the
taste of the crab.

Kent