Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen Burns Karen Burns is offline

Default Feel No Guilt -- Bird's Nest Soup No Longer Politically Incorrect

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Karen Burns wrote:
>> So while there probably won't be any (much)
>> bird poop residue, you are still essentially
>> munching on some rubbery, gummy bird spit.

> It sounds bad when you put it that way,
> but what about all those Americans who eat
> or drink dried ground-up flies (listed as
> "carmine", "carmine extract", or "natural
> color" in pink soft drinks and strawberry
> ice cream). Or the ones who eat ground-up
> meat scraps stuffed into intestines (called
> "natural casing" on packages of sausages).
> Or the ones who eat fruit with the dead
> body of the pollinating insect inside of
> it (called "figs"). Lots of things sound
> disgusting if you try to characterize them
> that way.

Yes, but they taste sooooo good! : )

Karen
fig eater, you can have my share of strawberry 'flavored' anything,
though...

> Now, where can I buy canned surstromming
> around here?

eek! I had to look that one up, and had myself a good laugh here,
reading this (especially the last paragraph):

http://www.allscandinavia.com/surstromming.htm