Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonnymus[_8_] Nonnymus[_8_] is offline

Default Fat to preserve meat

Long ago, I recall an old time farmer once described a way they "used
to" store meat in the summer. I'm going by sheer recollection from many
years back and would appreciate any insight, anecdote or corrections you
all could offer.

According to my recollection, the farmers would render out fat to make
lard or tallow. During the summer months, beef or pork that was killed
for food was butchered and the meat submerged in the lard or tallow.
This would prevent deterioration for weeks or months. When needed the
wife would literally dig out a piece of meat to cook.

Was this just a fabrication, misrecollection or was this an actual
technique to preserve meat when it could not be frozen and salt curing
was not desired?

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---