Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Dirty Sick Pig Dirty Sick Pig is offline

Default Request for a new thread: Mexican-Filipino culinary connections

Rechazador de Disparates wrote:
> On Jun 26, 10:07�am, Dirty Sick Pig > wrote:
>
>> All this yada-yada is making me hungry. �I'd better attack my camarones
>> rebosados and push 'em down with Cerveza San Miguel and Tecate Beer.

> Camarones rebosados are breaded shrimp. If you saw that dish on the
> wall menu in a taqueria, it would be called camarones panados or
> something like that.

You'll find this hard to believe, but camaron rebosado despite its
Spanish name is considered Chinese food by Filipinos. Nobody makes them
at home! Chinese restaurants there use tempura batter instead of bread
crumbs. This is basically the same shrimp preparation in sweet-and-sour
shrimp found in U.S. Chinese restaurants.

Filipino cooks will rarely consider disguising the taste and appearance
of fresh seafood with batter or bread crumbs. It's all in the marinade,
broth, sauces, dips, and oil used for frying. Only coconut shell
charcoal will do for special grilled dishes!

Fresh seafood to Filipinos mean the fish, crustaceans, shellfish and
squids are still alive by the time they get to the sink for prepping, so
I can say they're a little bit snobbish about seafood freshness. Of
course there are fish that die the moment they leave the water so
there's one exception to the rule. But it is nice for seafood lovers to
live on 7,000+ islands with the South China Sea to the left and Pacific
Ocean to the right. (Now I want some escabeche!)

> Did Filipinos ever grow wheat to make flour?

Yes, just enough to support a baking industry and exotic recipes, and
other industries calling for flour. Flour is rarely stocked in homes.
Rice flour and corn flour are preferred. Excess trigo production
is.....food for prize pigs! I don't think wheat is indigenous to the
islands and it must be a transplant. It's rice, arroz, and more rice!

We have an arroz caldo dish - rice and chicken chunks in rice gruel,
flavored with ginger, lightly roasted garlic, scallions and spices.
Some regions substitute boiled tripe for the chicken.

You will start to notice how most Filipino dishes have Spanish names, as
well as the ingredients and utensils used.

> http://www.acomerbien.net/recetas/re...hp?Receta=1449

Thanks for the link, and for responding.

My next contribution will be Filipino lechon, and I have eaten it side
by side with Mexican Lechon. As advance information, Mexican lechon
with the fat and meat scraped off leaving just the skin.....is what
Filipinos would call "chicharon" although there are at least five other
varieties of Filipino chicharonnes. More on the bar chows later.

DSP