Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default Party suggestions

Bilz wrote:
> All,
>
> This board has been really useful to me so far. It has been my summer
> project to learn barbecue, and I have had smashing results thus far.
> The end goal of my barbecue education for the summer is to throw a
> party. I will probably expect 35 to 40 people at this party, which I
> will throw in late September. I am starting NOW to think about what
> to cook and how much to cook.

This may help:
http://members.tripod.com/~lotsofinfo/index.html

> In your experience, what types of cuts do you cook for a lot of
> people? I was thinking about cooking a full pork shoulder and making
> pulled pork... and then cooking up a few dozen chicken legs and making
> pulled chicken for the folks who don't like pork.
>
> What would you suggest? What do party-goers tend to like in a
> barbecue party? Should I be including some ribs for snacking?
> Brisket instead?

Do what you know. Don't do anything that you don't have experience cooking.

> Also, I will likely be loading my smoker up pretty well if I cook for
> that many people. What types of things do I need to think about?

Do I have the capacity for the load I want to cook?

> Longer cooking times, possibly?

Not really. Once the pit gets up to temp, it will take about as long to cook
12 butts as it takes to do one butt.

> Do I need to think again about

I don't know what you mean.

> Should I consider getting some backup cooking
> gear for the event?

Does your pit have the capacity to cook what you need? If it does, you don't
really need a backup.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com