Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dimitri Dimitri is offline

Default Party suggestions

"Bilz" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> All,
>
> This board has been really useful to me so far. It has been my summer
> project to learn barbecue, and I have had smashing results thus far.
> The end goal of my barbecue education for the summer is to throw a
> party. I will probably expect 35 to 40 people at this party, which I
> will throw in late September. I am starting NOW to think about what
> to cook and how much to cook.
>
> In your experience, what types of cuts do you cook for a lot of
> people? I was thinking about cooking a full pork shoulder and making
> pulled pork... and then cooking up a few dozen chicken legs and making
> pulled chicken for the folks who don't like pork.
>
> What would you suggest?

<snip>
> Thanks,
> Brian

My suggestion is for you to enjoy your friends as much as possible as opposed to
being a slave to the Q or grill.

Therefore I would smoker several Boston Buts and have pulled pork as the main
event. The pork could easily be done up to a week ahead of time. I would also
do a mess of slaw either for the pulled pork sandwiches or as a side. A big pot
of beans will stay warm on the Grill. As far as grilling is concerned if there
are any kids present the grill some hot dogs for the little guys. For the
adults grill some corn on the cob serve with drawn butter & a brush, also
include some wedges of Mexican limes & some of the powdered Pico De Gallo de
another sprinkle on hot pepper for the corn.

The most important thing is for you to have fun with your friends.

Dimitri