Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses[_1_] The Joneses[_1_] is offline

Default Cherry Jalapeno Jam Recipe?

"Carbon Copy" > wrote in message
et...
> Has anyone ever made a Cherry Jalapeno jam or jelly? Is there a tried and
> true method for adding jalapenos to jams and jellies that doesn't affect
> the ratios in the recipes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - A -

Chop up the chiles of your choice and add fruit to measure. I believe with
cherries we add lemon juice to help acidify if using pectin? I misremember.
Chiles, no matter how hot are low acid, so add the 2 tablespoons lemon juice
to lower acid (or riper) fruit.
I had to add a dozen Serrano peppers to blackberry jam to even get warm. I
called it Hot Love. Wasn't very hot tho, not for me, and I just like
middlin-to hot stuff. When I add habeneros to peach jam, I use 3 - seeded &
deveined, chopped in tiny pieces. That's hot. But not too hot. The sugar
soaks up a *lot* of heat.
Y'all like hot stuff or what? To avoid a lot of messin' with the recipe, I
use a few habs for nice fruity taste and nice heat. Jalapeņos is wimpy.
Edrena