Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Mydnight Mydnight is offline

Default Interesting article on the pouerh boom and bust

On Jun 25, 11:26 pm, "Melinda" > wrote:
> Found this in Asia Times today, it's pretty interesting about how the puerh
> prices got driven up and how they are falling now. It also mentions some
> producers making poor quality tea to cash in on the boom (not a surprise of
> course). It shows the fact that tea speculation is just that-speculation and
> the investor takes the risks, but also that some producers or buyers were
> hoarding to create a false scarcity. Interesting.

Indeed. I've been saying this for the past 2 years, and I've seen it
on a first-hand basis. Many people here are buying in bulk and not
even knowing what they are getting, actually. They have money to
burn, so they burn it on a ton, literally, of low quality tea.