Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Lewis[_2_] Lewis[_2_] is offline

Default Tri Tip questions

You can sear the "fat cap" all you want.
Then when you trim off the cap you have meat
that looks naked to the world - no grill marks,
no bbq color, blanko. Don't slow-cook t.t.

JMHO - trim off the fat cap first. Do a dry rub of
your favorite mix. Direct heat cook - high and tight
(meaning if you have more than one t.t., keep them
nested together to save heat loss). Get a nice "crust" on each side - turn
once,
twice or more to acheive the results. Goal is a med./rare inside with a nice
dark crust.

Always slice across the grain. Serve with Salsa.

. net...