Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] mmeggs@nospam.iglou.com is offline

Default Homemade dill pickles question

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 05:37:04 GMT, "BeeBop" >
wrote:

>My mom makes them every summer. I have a couple jars in the pantry, made in
>summer 06. They are sealed, of course. Now, how long are they good for?
>How do I know if they aren't good anymore? I just opened a jar, and they
>are of course, delicious, and I HATE pickles, except for Mom's. And once a
>jar is opened, how long does it usually keep in the fridge?
>
>Also, can you get botulism from homemade dill pickles? I am wondering if I
>should let my 2 year old son eat them.
>
>Thanks!
>
>~C

C. Botulinum spores can only produce toxin if the pH is higher than
4.6 (i.e - low acid) and there is no oxygen present. If the pickles
are made with vinegar, the pH is probably low enough. If they are
traditional dill pickles - that is to say fermented - then the
fermentation process produces enough acid.

There is no way of testing for botulin toxin at home other than
eatiing it and subsequently being hospitalized - it's really bad and
it doesn't take much. I strongly recommend following USDA guidelines
for pickling and canning. U of GA has a very good food preserving
site done under contract with USDA.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

That said, I enjoy fermenting and canning kraut and hope I have enough
cukes this year to ferment a batch of kosher dills.

I second the suggestion to learn how to do it yourself.

- Mark