Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonnymus[_5_] Nonnymus[_5_] is offline

Default cold smoking question

Kent wrote:

>> Guess I need to go to the library to see if I can find a book on cold
>> smoking, but anyone have suggestions? Thanks!
>>
>> Bob-tx
>>

> I have failed several times trying to cold smoke salmon. I think to get any
> commercial
> consumer type smoker down to a low enough temp. is almost impossible, I own
> and have tried to do this with the Luhr Jensen Little Chief electric
> smoker. Preceeding that I made gravlax, a favorite raw salmon dish that we
> frequently have with wild salmon. I put that into the smoker and I ended up
> with firm textured fish, but with a nice smokey taste. That's not, however,
> what I think you're trying to accomplish. I was in a high brow deli in the
> S.F. Bay Area recently, and someone said she makes cold smoked salmon by
> making gravlax, as above, and rubbing liquid smoke on it. I'm going to try
> it. I can just see the purists throwing up.

Bradley sells a smoke generator with adapter, so you can convert about
any grill into a cold smoker. http://tinyurl.com/2leygk

IMHO, it's a great solution for someone who can do some metal work to
cut an opening in the hood of a grill. The smoke generator slips over a
couple screw heads and can be removed instantly for traditional cooking
with gas or charcoal. If I was doing it to my present gas grill, I
would fabricate a piece of sheet metal to just cover the opening in the
hood when not using the smoke generator.

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by