Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Frank Warner Frank Warner is offline

Default Tri Tip questions

In article > , Jim
Johansen > wrote:

> > My questions a
> >

> > Should I grill with the fat cap down? And how often should I turn the
> > meat if all?
> >

> I sear fat cap, then turn and let it finish over indirect medium /high heat.
>
> > I am going to be slow cooking or using the indirect method by cutting off
> > one burner.
> >
> > Is this a good idea or not?

> I wouldn't cook this cut slowly.
>

> > Is using my little smoke box with hickory chips going to impart too much
> > flavor for something that's already going to be marinating overnight in
> > Teriyaki marinade?
> >

> Santa Maria style cooks them over oak and uses a simple rub like Susie Q's
> (google it, you can buy it online). This is a delicious cut of meat. It's
> great with salt and pepper. I personally wouldn't mask the flavor with
> teiyaki, but I know many do.

I cook mine exclusively Santa Maria style, since I live about 20 miles
from there. My rub is dry, no marinade, and it takes about 45 mins to
cook a 3-4 lb. tri-tip til it's pink inside. My rub is 2 parts flour, 1
part dry mustard, 1/2 part EACH garlic salt, kosher salt, ground black
pepper, and onion powder. You can add a little dried parsley if you
like. Rub it in good and let it rest for at least an hour. The roast
should be room-temperature before you put it on the grill. DO NOT trim
the fat! A kettle grill works good, with a two-level fire, oak or
charcoal. Sear both sides, watch that the fat cap doesn't burn, then
move the whole roast to indirect heat, cover the grill with all the
vents open and roast until you get 130 degrees at the thickest part.
Let it rest for five minutes while temp comes up to 135. Slice across
the grain and serve with pinto beans, green salad and garlic bread.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/