Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini kilikini is offline

Default Brisket .... how to?

Skyhooks wrote:
> OK, I bought a small brisket the other day - it's in the freezer. The
> price was such I just couldn't resist. Now, what do I do with the
> thing? I can't remember when I last made a brisket, so it's
> definitely not something I do readily.
>
> Of course, I can google and search FoodTV (etc.) for all sorts of
> recipes, methods, and techniques to prepare and cook brisket. The
> "Aunt Irene's Brisket" recipe was recommended to me in chat, and I
> found it through a google groups search.
>
> However, I like to choose from a variety of options and maybe combine
> a few, er experiment <g>. My intention is to cook the brisket
> outside on the bbq grill smoker (whatever it is!). What sort of
> recommendations can y'all suggest? TIA.
>
> Sky, who likes grilling and Q'ing

It's a tough cut of meat so it likes to be cooked low and slow. If you like
to Q, I would suggest cooking it that way because it imparts a nice smokey
flavor; that's how we do ours. Keep in mind that on a BBQ pit, it can take
anywhere between 8 - 17 hours to cook a brisket at about 250 degrees. A
brisket is done when it passes the fork test; you stick the fork in and it
turns easily. When it's done, wrap it in foil and let it sit a bit before
carving. Make sure to carve across the grain.

For seasoning when we do brisket, we just add salt, pepper and garlic
powder. We start our fire with lump and we usually add hickory, oak or
cherry wood to the fire, depending upon what we have on hand. Lately it's
been oak because we lost a few limbs on our tree. :~)

Brisket is best eaten the day it's cooked, IMO. In any case, let us know
your plans and tell us how it turned out!

kili