Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] tbsamsel@att.net is offline

Default Beef Shoulder Clod

On Jun 19, 1:08 pm, Jason Tinling > wrote:
> On Jun 18, 8:11 pm, "Bill" > wrote:
>
> > Anyone of you learned Q'ers here had any experience smoking a shoulder clod.
> > Could use any advice you can offer a relative newbie.
> > Thanks

> > FatBill

> I've cooked a couple. The ones I've had to cook seemed less fatty
> than a brisket, and it's a big, thick chunk o' meat. Due toth e time
> constraints when I'm typically cooking them (out "camping"), I'd
> probably cut any future ones into halves or thirds, and have an easier
> time getting them to my preferred level of tender. Whole, at 12-13
> hours of 275, I still found them to be a bit chewy (compared to my
> brisket) but most of the folks eating it thought it was great stuff.

That's my experience, too.

After moving from Austin Texas, I first encountered shoulder clod in
SPFLD Illinois, where I could not find brisket at all. I cooked one
for a block party (where the State Police Pipe Band played) and I was
quite pleased with the outcome. The Illinoisians were quite vocal in
their liking of the meat. They had never had anything like it.

I've got a wheeled 55 gallon drum offset cooker that I can do two
clods in. I've only done that once, for a caver cookout here in
Richmond, VA. We couldn't get Cryo-vacced briskets until Walmart
showed up here.. and it was a bitch trying to find a real butcher shop
that would sell me a shoulder clod. Here, Ukrops reigns with piddling
packages of meat. The "butchers" look at you oddly when you ask to see
where a piece came from. "It came from a truck" , they will say.

But we now have a couple of high end foodie butchers here, and a
couple of carnicerias and at least one halal butcher who always has
goat and lovely lamb.

T.