Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin Lewis Perin is offline

Default Low Caffeine Tea

Steven Dodd > writes:

> On Jun 18, 2:51 am, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
> > My girlfriend likes tea, but has trouble with caffeine. What teas have
> > good flavor, but little caffeine?
> >
> > AP

> It's mostly commonly thought/observed that white tea has the least and
> black tea has the most caffeine. white -> green -> oolong -> then
> either black or puerh tea.
>
> A lot of sites have a table like the one on
> http://www.stashtea.com/caffeine.htm

Sorry, but that's just folklore.

> I also found this page (http://nobleharbor.com/tea/caffiene.html)
> which thought these figures were all hooey.

Ah, now I feel better.

I apologize for being cranky, but this subject comes up often here,
even though it's been settled on the merits. The short version is:
Don't believe that green or white tea in general has less caffeine,
and don't believe you can extract nearly all caffeine from tea leaves
with a 30-second rinse. It's complicated!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /