Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Seasonings you use instead of salt

maxine in ri wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2:16 pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> > maxine in ri wrote:

> > > What do others use in place of salt?

> > > maxine in ri

> > Pepper. I use very little salt in my cooking, pepper and other spices
> > compensate well. Not to say I don't use salt, I just use it in limited
> > applications and in limited quantities.
> >
> > Pete C.

> Ah! Which spices? I use as Michael does, Mrs Dash mixes (lemon
> pepper, original, and tomato basil), but I like to do my own spicing,
> so am looking for suggestions. With over 100 bottles on my spice
> racks (some dupes, some ground/whole/crushed, some mixes), I'm
> interested in hearing what other folks add rather than my usual
> "throw the spice rack in the pot" sort of seasoning.
>
> I usually use a small amount of salt in the cooking, but for DM and
> DS, any salt is too much. Freakin' pains in the butt....
>
> (I'm losing it- the weather is getting hot and humid, and I'm just
> not my usual sweet self)
>
> maxine in ri

What I use depends on what I'm making. Usual suspects include garlic
(powder), basil, oregano, black pepper and crushed red pepper. Others
range from chipotle powder to cardamom as appropriate.

Mostly wet here north of Dallas at the moment, several towns under
water. Just soggy here fortunately. My pond level went up at least a
foot overnight.

Pete C.