Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default cold smoking question

"Bob" > wrote:
> Have never tried any cold smoking, but have read that the temp
> should be about 100 degrees.
>
> I use a smoker with an offset firebox and have good luck with
> cooking, ribs, roasts, etc at about 250 degrees.
>
> Questions:
> Is this smoker usable for cold smoking?
>
> How does one keep the temp down to about 100?

I picked up one of those electric hot plates at a thrift store. Put it in
the firebox with some hardwood chunks in a pie plate. Adjust heat to where
the chips just smoke. Put what's to be cold smoked in the smoke chamber.
Shut the lids. Shut the firebox damper to 10% open or so. Leave the flu
between 50% and full open. Works for cheeses and sausages, too. YMMV

~Semper Fi~